Tuesday 22 November 2011

My Current Influences

I've talked a lot about my work and what I want to do but I think it's time to give you a little bit of background on where my influences are coming from..

I keep a reflective journal where I take notes on the places I go, exhibitions I visit and notes from tutorials that are useful. Writing everything down in one place really helps me to gather my thoughts and see the ideas taking shape. So far this year I have been a little slow at keeping on top of this but I will eventually get it up to date. Here's a couple of pages so far...













Pages From Reflective Journal



















At the fair mentioned above I came across Treacle Jack Designs. I instantly fell in love with her work, maybe that was something to do with the birds and the flowers though but could resist buying this...

Bag Tag by Treacle Jack Designs


And I suppose that this is really where I became interested in stamps, however, I've decided to use the stamps in my art work which I'll post about later!

So other than being attracted to all things pretty, I have also been working on a lot of research into different artists and ideas. This I keep in a folder, ready to flick through when I need some inspiration. Whilst having a quick look through, deciding who has influenced my work the most at the moment, two artists stood out the most.

The first of which being Rachel Waldock. I came across her work a while ago and liked it a lot but it wasn't until I began to think about what I wanted to do this year that she popped up again in my research. Looking at her work now has a strong correlation to what I would like to do. She has printed her own paintings onto fabric. What I like about them is the subtly; not all of it is painted but through the lines that she makes it suggests what should be there and makes them pleasant to look at.

The second artist is Claire Coles who I came across whilst watching Kirstie's Handmade Britain. Its a programme that I watch every week as I love what she does but when I saw the work of Claire Coles it really stood out from the rest. The elements of her work that I like the most are that she combines different materials with embroidery. With the ideas that I have, putting my designs onto wallpaper is something that could be possible, although at the moment I would rather work with fabric. Her work uses simple cut out flowers, leaves and birds and are then machine stitched onto a background to make the image come alive. For such a simple way of working it has a large impact.

Take a look at the links that I've put as their work are definitely worth a look..


No comments:

Post a Comment