Tuesday 22 November 2011

Where I See This Going

At the end of this year I aim to have a collection of work that combines my own drawings and images with embroidery. To get started with this idea, I thought that it would be a good idea to start doing some embroidery. The first thing I did was to embroider a simple rose onto a piece of fabric...

Chain and Straight Stitch Rose

I then realised, my work isn't going to be solely about the embroidery as it was last year so then thought that I should just start embroidering over existing printed patterns to give me a better idea of the sorts of stitches and techniques that work best. Here is an example of this:

Hand Embellished Fabric

It is hard to see in the image what exactly it is that I have done but I quite like the subtly of it. I'm not using the embroidery to alter the work but just to embellish it. In this photo I have added lace to one of the flowers to add a finer detail, stitched detail onto a couple of the leaves and created a woven rose from embroidery thread. Maybe further down the line this will change but at the moment it is just there to add another dimension to the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment