Tuesday 22 November 2011

Where It All Began

This year for my final year of uni (far too scary to come to terms with!), I have decided that I want to push myself out of my comfort zone and be more experimental. For my second year I worked mainly with hand embroidery as this is something that I really love to work in and was happy with what I created at the end of the year but felt that I could have taken it a step further.

It has always been said to me that I need to be more confident, this is pretty much the story of my life! This time I have decided that it's about time that I listened to what people are saying, especially as I am so near to completing my degree. My sketches have always been commented on before for the marks that I make. I have decided that I will use my painting more within my work so that I can use the delicate, fluid element that I really like. I saw the last year's Degree Show and was really inspired by the number of printed textiles from hand drawn or painted images.

The first thing that I thought was important to do over the summer holidays in preparation for my final year was to get drawing. First I started with some life drawings...
Watercolour and Pencil Carnation

This is the very first sketch that I did in my sketchbook. After this I got a little distracted and uninterested in drawing flowers so thought I would give blind drawing a go as it is a technique that I have enjoyed before. I didn't really think too much of the blind drawings so returned back to life drawing. After having a couple of tutorials it became obvious that my blind drawings were a lot my intriguing than my life ones. I thought that I would have a go with experimenting some more with this technique... 

Fine Liner Carnations

And this is what I got from experimenting! This I hope to expand on further, experimenting with colour and different ways of adding texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment